RAWALPINDI: A dispute over ownership of 155 years-old building of district’s directorate of education has not been resolved since 32 years and the building has turned into ghost bungalow due to negligence and lack of interest by the Punjab government, district management and education department. This ancient and precious building is now in shambles owing to lack of proper upkeep, renovation and decoration and lives of scores of employees and applicants have been put at stake.Sikh Sardar Hasrat Singh constructed this historical Haveli in 1860 and later this building, which was constructed in the area of one-acre land, consisting 32 rooms was allocated for the welfare purpose. In the beginning, it was used as Ariya Hospital being named after Ariya Mohallah. Later, it remained connected with leading missionary Holy Family Hospital. It was also used as orphanage and prison for some time. At the start of 19th century, Ram Das Hospital was set up in this building, which remained operational for 25 years where medical facilities were provided free of cost. Animal Husbandry Hospital was also established in this building for some years. However, Girls College was set up in this building in 1969. This property is under the use of education department prior to partition of subcontinent. The education department set up boarding house on February 10, 1914 and September 20, 1915. The girls college was also functioning in this building at the time of partition of the subcontinent which was later shifted to 6th Road, Satellite Town. The office of EDO education and girls school adjacent to this office were set up in this building and they are still operating therein. At present, about 1,600 students are studying in this school.Sources told Daily Times that the advertisement for auction of this property was published in December 1969 and its cost was fixed at Rs 1,80,000. The education department participated in this auction. The Education department on having been declared a successful bidder deposited a sum of Rs 1,80,000 through public works department on June 24, 1970 and requested for transferring the building to it but the building has not been transferred so far. The education department requested settlement commissioner acquisition once again on August 5, 1970 through letter no 2942 and all the documents be transferred in its name now as it has paid all the requisite amount of auction. But deputy settlement commissioner demanded more money illegally instead of transferring property to the education department. A sum of Rs 27,000 was demanded on account of outstanding arrears, Rs 95,876 on account of rent and Rs 235 against the settlement fee. Meanwhile, deputy administrator evacuees trust property of Rawalpindi filed a review petition under 1958 Act before the settlement commissioner. The auction of this property was revoked on May 28, 1971 without making education department respondent to hear this department. It was replied in categorical terms that the property is non-transferable.On the other side, education department on May 28, 1971 was asked by deputy settlement commissioner through letter No 1661/DSC/RWP71 to deposit the remaining amount.It was decided in the special meeting of federal government on June 10, 1976 that property of evacuee trust, which is under use of educational institutions, be transferred to education department.The education department once again reminded that the said property was under the use of education department since last 100 years and a girls school was also running in this building before partition and education department has taken part in auction and deposited all the auction amount. Therefore, this property should be transferred to it .The petition filed by chairman evacuee trust property board was dismissed by the high court and this matter remained under hearing of appellate authority.The appellate authority decided that the entire case be referred to federal cabinet through Punjab education secretary in the light of government directives.It was directed by the Prime Minister through notification issued on July, 5, 1984 that ownership of this building is right of education department and this building be transferred to education department. But building has not been transferred so far.Auqaf department is still claiming that the building is its property on the plea that it had purchased the building against price of Rs 1,63,000 through open auction.