MIAMI: British world number one Andy Murray said Saturday he will not play in the ATP Miami Open Masters hardcourt tournament starting next week because of a right elbow injury. In a statement from Murray released by the tournament, the 29-year-old Scotsman apologized to fans and said his focus will now be on preparing for the claycourt season after crashing out in his first match at Indian Wells last week. “Sadly, due to a right elbow injury, I won’t be playing in Miami,” Murray said. “Apologies to the fans. It’s one of my favourite tournaments. “The focus now is on getting ready for the clay season.” According to a schedule listed on his website, Murray’s next planned event is next month at Monte Carlo. He is also the reigning champion of the Italian Open on clay. Reigning Wimbledon champion Murray, a three-time Grand Slam winner who also took the 2012 US Open and 2013 Wimbledon titles, won the Miami Open crown in 2009 and 2013 and lost in the final in 2012 and 2015, both times to Serbian star and current world number two Novak Djokovic. Murray, the 2012 and 2016 Olympic champion, lost to Djokovic in January in the Qatar Open final but won his 45th career title earlier this month in Dubai. Murray’s decision to drop out of Miami moves 19-year-old American Taylor Fritz into the main draw for the Florida hardcourt event.