Punjab cabinet on Tuesday unanimously rejected an application submitted by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif for further extension in the bail granted to him on medical grounds for treatment abroad.The cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Usman Buzdar was briefed that required medical reports of Nawaz Sharif were not provided despite repeated reminders by the medical board and the special committee comprising provincial ministers Raja Basharat and Dr Yasmin Rashid. The committee was constituted on the directions of Chief Minister Usman Buzdar on Feb 11, 2020, which held its meetings on 19, 20 and 21 February. Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) leader Attaullah Tarar attended the meeting on Feb 21, while Dr Adnan participated through video-link. The representatives of Nawaz Sharif, instead of submitting new verified medical reports, stressed that old medical reports should be treated as final. The report of the special committee was presented before the Punjab cabinet meeting on Tuesday, which unanimously decided to reject Nawaz Sharif’s application for granting extension in the suspended sentence.Following the meeting, addressing a press conference along with Health Minister Dr Yasmin Rashid and Information Minister Fayyaz ul Hassan Chohan, Punjab Minister for Law and Parliamentary Affairs Basharat Raja said that the Punjab cabinet has decided not to give further extension in the bail to Nawaz Sharif. He said Nawaz Sharif was granted bail for eight weeks by the Islamabad High Court on October 29, 2019, but a further eight weeks had passed since then as discussions were underway, adding that the bail was to be automatically extended till a decision by the Punjab government so it was extended for 16 weeks. Basharat said that after passage of 16 weeks, the provincial government wanted to be informed about developments regarding Nawaz’s health, on the basis of which a decision regarding his bail was to be made. He said that the IHC had directed Nawaz Sharif to seek the Punjab government’s permission for further relief if required, adding that Nawaz is not admitted to any hospital in London at present. Nothing specific was shared with the government regarding Nawaz Sharif’s health, he said, adding that the Punjab cabinet has made the decision as there is no legal, moral or medical basis for further extension of his bail. He said the Punjab government will share its decision with the federal government, which will finally decide regarding this matter.Following the Punjab government’s announcement, PML-N senior leader Rana Sanaullah said they will challenge the decision in the high court following discussions. Amid bickering between the ruling PTI and PML-N, Nawaz had reached London for medical treatment on November 19, 2019. He was granted bail by the IHC on humanitarian grounds in the Al Azizia case earlier that month. He had also obtained bail in the ongoing Chaudhry Sugar Mills case, in which he is a suspect, from the Lahore High Court.On December 23, he sought an extension in his stay abroad on the expiry of the four-week period granted by the LHC. Following his request, the Punjab government had constituted a four-member committee to decide on it and sought fresh medical reports to make an ‘informed decision’.In January, a picture of Nawaz at a London restaurant along with some members of his family had surfaced on social media, raising questions about the former prime minister’s health condition.