KARACHI: The World Bank has, in principal, agreed to finance the much awaited rehabilitation of Sukkur Barrage. The decision was taken in a meeting held between Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah and World Bank Country Director Patchamuthu Illangovan and his 14-member experts and sector chief delegation here on Tuesday. The chief Minister was assisted by Provincial Ministers for Home Sohail Siyal, Local Government Jam Khan Shoro, Population Welfare Mumtaz Jakharnai, Chairman P&D Mohammad Waseem, Pricniapl Secretary to Cm Sohail Rajput, Secretary School Education Iqbal Durani, Secretary Health Fazal Pechuho, Secretary Irrigation Jam Shah, Secretary Population Laiq Ahmed and others. The provincial government has been asked to submit the PC-I. Speaking on the occasion, Shah said that consultants were engaged for the feasibility study for rehabilitation of Sukkur Barrage and the draft feasibility was reviewed by experts. Further, revisions in feasibility study were made by World Bank experts, including experts in dam design, sedimentation and structures. The CM said that the consultant’s Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report was also reviewed by an International POE in August 2017, after a public hearing for the project’s environmental impacts. The international POE has also submitted an Environmental and Social Assessment Report. The CM further gave details of assessment findings, saying that the barrage structure had been declared safe and rehabilitation works could extend its life indefinitely. He added that the rehabilitation works for exiting barrage selected for design discharge of 1.3 million cusecs, which would not require any changes in the existing right pocket river training works. Shah said that additional studies have been recommended during the implementation stage. They include a location study for a new barrage, sediment transport modeling and monitoring study, physical model study in UK/Holland for consultant’s recommendation for changes in right pocket river training works, enabling increase in the barrage flood handling capacity to 1.5 million cusecs. CM Shah said that the rehabilitation works would be completed over a period of four years. Published in Daily Times, March 14th 2018.