Injured Novak Djokovic pulls out of Miami Open

Injured Novak Djokovic pulls out of Miami Open


MIAMI: World number two Novak Djokovic won’t defend his ATP Miami Masters title next week, saying Sunday that he was withdrawing because of injury. “I apologize to my fans and ppl who purchased tickets to watch me play live at @MiamiOpen. Sadly, I’m injured and won’t be able to compete,” the Serb star said on Twitter. Tournament organizers confirmed in their statement that Djokovic was battling an elbow problem. “Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw due to an elbow injury,” officials said. “We wish a quick recovery to our champion. Djokovic joins world number one Andy Murray on the sidelines for the elite hard court tournament. Murray pulled out Saturday with an elbow injury. Even as Murray was announcing his withdrawal on Saturday there were reports that Djokovic was seeing a doctor in Monte Carlo about elbow trouble after falling in the fourth round to 16th-ranked Australian Nick Kyrgios in the Indian Wells Masters. Djokovic’s withdrawal from Miami is just the latest setback for a player who endured a drop in form after completing the career Grand Slam with a long-sought French Open victory last year. He relinquished his Wimbledon and US Open titles and was shocked in the first round of the Rio de Janeiro Olympics last year by Juan Martin del Potro, losing his world number one ranking to Murray along the way.