DailyTimes | Minister urges media to create awareness on thalassaemia

Minister urges media to create awareness on thalassaemia

Minister urges media to create   awareness on thalassaemia

PESHAWAR: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Minister for Health Shahram Tarakai has urged the media to create awareness on thalassaemia, which is incurable disease.

Addressing an awareness session regarding thalassaemia and role media, organized by Badbaan Organisation (BO) in collaboration with Peshawar Press Club (PPC) and Khyber Union of Journalists (KhUJ) held here at Press Club on Thursday. He informed that the fatal thalassaemia disease was a genetic disease and causes of the disease is mostly inter family marriage if both man and woman have minor thalassaemia, convert into major thalassaemia, which transfer to their children.

Flanked by BO President Khurram Iqbal, President KhUJ Saiful-Islam Saiffi, General Secretary PPC Shahabuddin, the minister said working on legislation for thalassaemia screening test was being made but for eradication of the fatal disease is possible when people take interest in removing their social stigma and cultural barriers.

He said, thalassaemia is an inherited blood disorder caused by weakening and destruction of Red Blood Cells, according to different research upto 70 per cent of all blood collection in Pakistan is given to children with thalassaemia, which means majority of collected blood is set aside for a problem that easily be prevented. The symptoms of thalassaemia of major, he informed that including paleness, headaches, shortness of breath, fatigue, jaundice and spleen enlargement. Thalassaemia is caused by the presence of two genes, in case where both parents thalassaemia minors, there is 25 per cent chance of birth of a thalassaemia major child, 25 per cent of a normal child and 50 percent chance of a thalassaemia minor child, he added. The minister further said there were 0.1million unregistered thalassaemia parents and registered only 25000 and approximately 6000 children were suffering from the deadly disease while nearly 2000 die every year.

Lauding the incumbent provincial government, he claimed the strength of medial officers had been increased from 3500 to 6156 for four years, adding that as per World health Organisation (WHO), it is mandatory to appoint one for one thousand patients, so, the provincial health authorities abide by the rule, increased number of doctors from 4700 to 7560 and succeeded. Similarly, he said the budgetary allocation had been gone up to Rs 26 billion in a short span of time.

He said the stance of Pakistan of Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) to spend on human development and Insaf Health Card initiative is part of the government manifesto, he added the government is also making other developments in the province.